Local News

Thrift Shop Destroyed by Fire


Aug 03, 2017

Firefighters from Omak and Okanogan were called to the Cuddly Panda Thrift Shop on Elmway in Okanogan, about 1:50pm on Tuesday.  The building, which was filled with furniture and other second-hand items was already heavily damaged by the time crews arrived on scene.

Traffic on Elmway was diverted to other roads for several hours because of the fire.

Omak Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said neighbors to the south of the building at the concrete plant noticed the fire and reported it. 

Just before noon on that day, power to much of the area went out, as a mechanical failure with a transformer at the Okanogan substation for the PUD took out power to the South Omak, Okanogan, Malott and Methow Valley areas.

Bowling said the store’s employees had been in the building, but closed up and left when power went out. He said the neighbors noticed the fire just after the power was restored, but no official cause has yet been determined.

The building owned by Don Manchester of Riverside, used to house Don’s Woodworks. Bowling said he wasn’t sure if the building was insured.

He said the building and its contents were a total loss.


Top of page
-------------------
© 2018 Okanogan Country Radio. All rights reserved.